Our family lawyers
Separation and Divorce
If you have recently separated, and there is little chance of reconciliation, there are three main issues to consider:
- Who will care for
the anychildren of the relationship
- The division of all matrimonial property including real estate, superannuation, bank accounts, shares and who will be responsible for any debt
- The legal end of a marriage.
A couple must be separatedfor at least 12 months prior to making an Applicationto the Court for a divorce.
Care of Children
Unless it is contrary to their best interests, children have a right to a significant and ongoing relationship with both parents following a separation. We assist parents in finalising arrangements for the
We can help separated couples to divide their property, which may include real estate, superannuation, bank accounts, shares and vehicles and who will be responsible for the respective debts.
We can also help with:
- Domestic violence, including
obtainingor defending a Protection Order
- Prenuptial Agreements, drafted and signed prior to marriage, which outline how assets and debts will
be dividedif the marriage breaks down
- Financial Agreements, signed by people entering
intoa de facto relationship, which outlines how assets and debts will be dividedif the relationship fails
- Child abduction by a parent
- International disputes
Visit us at our specialist family law website for further information.